Sunday, October 12, 2008

Working title

I applaud Ezra. Honestly, the man is a brilliant, free-structure blogger. I find as time goes by, it is harder and harder to write in a topic-free vacuum. Yes, it is about me, about my experiences, but honestly, I just try to slog through things without thinking too much about them. I feel 'em, enjoy 'em or not, and move on to the next experience. It is so strange to me that I don't think I have thoughts (yeah I just wrote that. Suck on it English patrol.); that I merely exist in a state of immediacy without reflection. It makes writing a blog a bit difficult when I have to remember and re-experience (because I don't reflect--see previous sentence) whilst writing stream-of-consciousness paragraphs. Thankfully, I adore words. Fuck the sword--give me the pen any day. Please don't read any Freudisms into that despite my constant mention of his ridiculous theories.
So, enough about me; let's talk about me.
I am going to try to work my way through. This may not go in order.
I have always spent money like sand through my fingers. The thing I am seduced by here is the cuteness factor. I get sucked in by the ridiculous things in stores. Like today I encouraged Kat to get this bento box that said something on it akin to 'pleasure source' and had a small paragraph about enjoying food on it. I have found myself enjoying a strange regression to a girlhood I never experienced when I really was young. I think everything in my bedroom is pink right now.

Yes. Eye stickers that act as a defacto eye liner. These come in many different colors and shapes. These are small stars.

Shiny, shiny fingernail stickers and rub-on tattoo jewelry. Small, sparkly mermen and a four leaf clover ring.


Beer goggles. 'Nough said. Seriously. You would have bought these, too.


Please meet the gentleman drinker. He looks a bit like the monopoly guy, Mr. Moneybags? Is that his name? Maybe Uncle Moneybags. He has that hint of creepiness about him...it is probably the mustache. Anyway, this was found in the corner of Jussco that is covered in the random drug paraphenalia that decorates most of the under-20 sets' bookbags. It was a surprise bag (waat up WW2 dollar store shoppers?) and while I am not unhappy with the gentleman drinker, it is a medium level choice. See box:

Yes. It would have sucked to get 'workman' or 'police' but 'captain' (aka pirate) or 'Arabian' would have rocked my socks. 'Nurce,' (I am not sure if this is the sole female cup, but I do know that it was spelled with a 'c') 'beerking,' and 'gentleman' are all pretty middle of the road...if that road is paved with cool down the middle of awesome town! Did I mention the hat was a sidedish holder?
But really--what wouldn't I have done for the Arabian? Arabian is clearly the best: it is more than a little racist, the only one that is truly a questionable 'occupation' and the only capitalized title on the box. I may go back and open all the boxes for him... Whatever, I have a type.
Let's take a kitten break, shall we? I took Mr. Marmalade to the vet, where he was checked out for worms and other parasites, ear mites, disease, fleas, tics and just about everything else you could think of (including his sex) and it turns out he is free of everything but a slight case of conjunctivitis (pink eye), which was cleared after 3 days of eye drops, and, also, he has male genitalia. Which I don't consider anything that needs medical tending to. He is going in next Saturday for his vaccinations. Kitteh pix:






So, Mr. Mar is adorable. On this we can agree. He is also loveably unclever and ungraceful. And amusingly destructive. Clearly, he is still the Anne Frank of cats, however, as I obviously still have him. The longer I keep him, the more difficult it is going to be to give him up. One of my teachers mentioned a student expressed interest in acquiring a cat after his suddenly died, and I found myself hedging my words in a way that made it clear I was waffling. I am ok with it in theory but the moment it becomes possible that someone could take Mister away, I find myself going to a preschool-blocks-like moment--'mine! You can't have any!'

On the school front, I was asked to cover Halloween in one of my elementary schools. There was a confusing 30 min where I was trying to explain we could make masks out of paper plates and it really wasn't making it across the language barrier. There was some extremely funny pantomime and pictionary-esque moments sprinkled in there. This was my example mask:

Paper plate, sushi dividers and twist-ties. My creativity knows no bounds. I am not a robot--I am a lion!
I went on a small adventure for a hula hoop.

I drove 40 min for this hula hoop and asked what I am sure were highly entertaining questions of shop employees along the way for this, and, some non-Japanese beer. Coming from Portland, I am afraid I have been spoiled when it comes to the brew. I adore Japan but the beer...really pales in comparison. I mean this literally and figuratively.

I can make a mean half and half or snakebite. I can also make martinis, killer amaretto sours and vegan banshees.
I also found this baby, improbably:

Chimay. Memories, eh, Keithers?

It was worth it, especially as a hurrah since I have gone raw again for a couple weeks. Just for kicks. And that means no booze. I might cheat on heating things up slightly. I was pissed about being cold last time. It was winter in Walla Walla, though.

I spent the majority of this long weekend cleaning and redecorating my house. Now I look less like I do crack in my house. Check out how clean my bedroom is in that background shot above. Bam.
Who loves winter? This guy! I love winter wear. I bought a scarf in anticipation. See my sass below.

No, Tyra, I ain't smiling with my eyes, but I am a raging narcissist, so you should approve of that, anyhow.
I also went to the prefectural ('state'-esque) track finals in Kumamoto city to cheer on a girls 4x100 team and a couple other kids who made it to the beautiful stadium. I wish I was still in that kind of shape. Going to state was one of the more exciting couple days of my high school career. And I lost my virginity then. Not that that wasn't exciting. I was just using that to illustrate that it was an exciting time. Uh. I should stop typing now. Maybe I should think about not writing stream of consciousness style. I guess I could edit this later. I probably won't though.

Well, we have gotten off topic.

In any case, I got some fun pics of the place but still haven't figured out how to get my camera to work on this computer, so I am stuck only posting pictures taken from photobooth.
But for those who complain that I only take pictures from the same spot and same angle all the time, here is one for you:

Look! I took my computer to work! Aaaannnd, scene.

No comments: